Logos are like shorthand for your brand. They are both visual and readable. They give your audience a consistent way to know that what they are seeing actually is part of you.
Do you need a logo if you are working on a personal brand?
Yes. Create a simple text logo that will give you a consistent look and feel. You don’t need to go all Coca-Cola or Nike. Just pick a font and type your name. If you want to fancy it up a bit, add an icon. Just get it done and start using it on everything.
What goes into a great logo?
- Readable – This is not the time to use a bizarre font or lots of squiggles. Choose something that reads well at both small and large sizes.
- Consistent – Pick something and stick with it. If you are using color, use the same colors all the time.
- Appropriate – If you are a Real Estate pro, pick a font and icon that lets people know at a glance what you do. A little house rather than a chat icon. A font that reflects your style. Classic serif or contemporary san serif.
So…ready to create your logo?
Here are three simple ways to create a logo for free or cheap.
Canva: Easy to use.
Even though there is no “logo” selection it’s easy to create a logo.
- Go to Canva.com and sign in
- In the upper right corner click on “Use Custom Dimension”
- Set the pixel dimension to 800 wide x 300 high and choose PX (pixels) from the drop down menu and click on the DESIGN button
- On the left side ribbon, you will see several design tabs: Search, Layouts, Elements, Text, Backgrounds, and Uploads. Choose Text.
- You can choose text only or you choose some of the composed text elements. Scroll down and try out a few. The pre-designed text elements make it very easy to create something great looking in just a few minutes.
- When you are satisfied with your text, you may want to add a icon. Click on the Elements tab, and then choose the Icons box.
- Scroll through the icons and select one that appeals. You can resize and recolor as you wish.
- Keep it clean and simple. Don’t go crazy adding lots of lines and shapes.
- When you’re done, click on Download in the upper right corner, and choose Image: High Quality PNG
- Save it to your branding assets folder.
Use Paint: Easy, free, and you probably already have it.